Friday, February 15, 2013

Sweet Sugar Cookies




In college I had a room mate who would always make these sugar cookies. I am a chocoholic but these sure caught my fancy. They have a nice buttery taste. They are moist in the center but crisp on the outside. Perfect for any holiday... even if it's indulging in front of the TV.

Sugar Cookies

3 cups flour (plus some to roll out dough)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. Combine four, salt, baking soda and powder in a large bowl.
2. Cut butter and shortening into dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl beat eggs, sugar and vanilla.
4. Combine both mixtures into large bowl. Dough will be crumbly but just grab a fist full, shape it into a ball to roll out on a floured surface.
5. Roll cookies, cut into desired shapes, place on UNgreased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 5-6 minutes. I like to catch my cookies before they become golden so I lean more towards 5 minutes.


Frosting

1 lb powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk (Optional-- I add another TB or two to thin it out so it's more of a glaze than a thick frosting)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup butter
Food coloring

Frost those buttery bad boys and enjoy!  This last time around I only made half a batch of frosting. With my husband in the house, he devoured a ton before I could frost them. This is a common problem with these cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment